This is a Japanese language and culture program offered by the University of the Ryukyus for international students from various countries appointed by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
The application procedures for this scholarship students who wish to study at the University of the Ryukyus are conducted through Japanese embassies, consulates in your countries, or our university. If you require any further information regarding Japanese Studies Program for Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship, contact Japanese embassies, consulates in your countries, or us by e-mail using the contact information below. Application fee is not charged. So please be aware that organizations or individuals who charge application fee or deposits have no relation with the Japanese Government.
- Develop a better understanding of Japanese culture as a whole, as well as the unique cultures of different regions of Okinawa.
- Acquire the ability to use Japanese at a high level, accurately comprehend readings, and understand sentence structures. Also, develop techniques and knowledge for research about Japan.
- By studying in Okinawa, develop a multi-perspective view of Japan, and recognize that Japan does not fall into just one culture sphere.
Students eligible for the program
（Embassy Recommendation : 6, University Recommendation : 8）
- Applicants must enrolled in a University outside of Japan (primarily juniors or above)
- Applicants must be majoring in a field related to Japanese language or Japanese culture
- Applicants must have sufficient Japanese language ability, N2 JLPT and above
Schedule and Annual Events
The program begins in October and ends in September the following year.
- Fall semester: October to February
- Spring semester: April to August
Nov. Party for international students in Okinawa, Appreciation of Kumiodori
Jan. Visit a Awamori company
Feb. Okinawa prefectural Speech contest
Apr. Mid-term presentation
May Study tour of Broadcasting company
Jun. Peace study Field trip to old battlefields & Peace Memorial Park
Aug. Paper submission, Final presentation, Closing ceremony
E-mail: knao at ll.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
E-mail: kinkats at ll.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
E-mail: seikot at lab.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
E-mail：hbgakmu at to.jim.u-ryukyu.ac.jp