This is a unique program offering studies in Japanese language, Okinawan culture, and Japanese culture for self financed students. Courses in Japanese language, Japan current events, Okinawa current events etc. are offered by the University Education Center for students not planning to earn a degree. Credits, however, can be received for attended lectures.
Becoming a Self-Financed International Student
- More information available here [Written in JAPANESE]
- Admission and Tuition Fees [Written in JAPANESE]
- Acquire the ability to communicate smoothly in Japanese
- Learn the fundamentals of Japanese
- Understand and adapt to Japanese/Okinawan culture and life style
- Learn to widen one’s personal network outside the classroom
- Become able to advance in one’s studies autonomously
- Applicants must have completed 12 years of formal education outside of Japan or have completed an equivalent course of study that has been appointed by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
- Applicants must have completed their high school education in Japan or possess an equivalent or higher academic ability.
- Applicants must be able to directly bring and present the application for admission to the Academic Affairs Section. (Applications must be submitted personally by applicants)
Application – 2018 2nd Semester
Application Period: August 1, 2018 – August 15, 2018
- Guidebook [PDF download; Written in JAPANESE]
- Auditing lessons as an international student [PDF download; Written in Japanese]
- Course Syllabus [All level PDF download; Written in Japanese / A0-B1 level only PDF download; Written in English]
- Application Package [PDF download; Written in JAPANESE]
Based on results of oral interview and the contents of the application documents.
1st Semester : April to August
2nd Semester : October to February
* Please refer to the Academic Calendar of the University of the Ryukyus.
List of the subjects
⇒ About Japanese classes [Written in JAPANESE]
Upon the completion of courses, students will be evaluated upon the criteria below.
- Mid-term and Final Exams
- Participation in presentations etc.
- Performance and attitude during lectures
- Matters regarding other classes
*Grades are determined on a scale of 5 with the ranking scale of A, B, C, D, E, and F.
*For registered classes, credits can be received for grades of D and higher.
*Transcripts will be issued by the Academic Affairs Section.
Academic Affairs Section
E-mail：kykyotu at to.jim.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
International Student Unit, Global Education Center:
E-mail: najimay at lab.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
E-mail: ashihara at lab.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
E-mail: arashiro at lab.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
E-mail: ysn at lab.u-ryukyu.ac.jp
- General Education Center HP -Infomation for Credited Auditors [Written in JAPANESE]