University of the Ryukyus Short-Term Student Exchange Program(URSEP)

You can study abroad in Japan without any previous knowledge of Japanese

sursep01_ sursep03_ sursep4_ sursep05_

The University
of the Ryukyus Student Exchange Program (URSEP) is a special education
program for students of foreign educational institutions that have
concluded exchange agreements with the University of the Ryukyus.

This program offers courses in various
subjects conducted in English, as well as basic level Japanese courses.
The credits given by the University of the Ryukyus can be transferred
back to the student’s home university. However, the student’s home
university reserves the right to determine whether earned credits are
valid and count towards the student’s graduation.


Select a course according to the purpose of your study


UrSupporter Japan & Okinawan Culture Experiential Course
Students can learn and experience Japanese and Okinawan culture in English.
sursep02_ Intensive Japanese Language Course
will take an intensive Japanese course in the first semester to acquire
basic knowledge and skills for communication in Japanese. Students must
take at least eight Japanese classes a week. Students may continue to
learn Japanese during the second semester to acquire an advanced level
of proficiency or attend classes meant for Japanese students for
subjects in their field of study.



Lectures in English

  Semester  Name of the Lecture
Japanese and Okinawan
Culture Expriential
Year-Round Okinawan Traditional MusicⅠ
Okinawan Traditional MusicⅡ
“La voce” Introductory Lesson for Choral Ensemble
Fall Understanding Contemporary International Politics
Spring Special Lecture on Legal Study
Comparative Politics
Introduction to Guitar Accompaniment
Wildlife and Biodiversity in the Ryukyus
Applied Linguistics
Fall Debating in English
English Phonology
Introducrion to Interculture Communication
Spring Public Speaking in English
For student in all Course Year-Round Japanese and Okinawan CultureⅠ・Japanese and Okinawan CultureⅡ
Okinawan HistoryⅠ・Okinawan HistoryⅡ
Semiconductor Technology
Fall Fine Arts Studio
Subtropical Oral Health Care
International Maternal and Child Health
Frontiers of Engineering

Information Technology in Agriculture
Advanced Sustainable Tourism
Spring Introduction to Biomedical Engineering


Lectures in Japanese

If a student from URSEP would like to
enroll in a class intended for regular Japanese students, permission
must be obtained from the instructor of the class. Under such
circumstances, the international student is required to complete all
class work in the given course, which includes all class reports and
tests. The student must also be proficient enough in Japanese to keep
pace with the rest of the class. Students may only register for one such
class during his/her period of study.


Project Work

All URSEP students are obliged to
participate in the project work class conducted in English and Japanese.
In this class, students work on various kinds of projects such as
presentations, participation in speech contests, video production and so


Independent Research

As an elective course, students are
given the opportunity of conducting independent research. Students may
conduct research on a topic of his/her choice while receiving academic
guidance from an academic supervisor. Students are required to hand in a
report of their research findings, which shall be graded by his/her
supervisor. This course is worth two credits.
In order to pursue independent research
during the fall semester, students must submit a plan of study and
obtain a recommendation from his/her home university’s academic advisor.
Students are also required to take the initiative to locate suitable
supervisors to mentor their research.
To conduct independent research in the
spring semester, students must submit a plan of study and a letter of
recommendation from his/her home university’s advisor by the end of
Students are required to utilize internet
resources to search for suitable supervisors on their own. Independent
research may only be conducted if the student is able to locate a
suitable supervisor in his/her desired field of research.
The University of the Ryukyus Researchers Database can be accessed at the following site:



1 The student’s university must be affiliated with the University of the Ryukyus or be a participating member of the US-UMAP.

2 Applicants must be either enrolled as (full-time) undergraduate
students who have completed their second year of study at their home
institutions or be matriculated as graduate students.
Junior college students who apply must be enrolled in their final
year of university.

3 Applicants must be native English speakers or possess an official
TOEFL score of at least 500(PBT)/173(CBT)/61(iBT) or an official TOEIC
score of at least 590 or an IELTS score of 5.5.

4 Students should be healthy both mentally and physically.

※ There is no requirement for proficiency in Japanese.


2017-2018 URSEP Application Guidebook (PDF) ––> We have stopped accepting applications.

Application Form 1 for STRP and URSEP <Form 1>
*Please submit both hard copy and the data

Application Forms 2-6 for STRP and URSEP <Form2-6>
*Please submit hard copy

Please download Form 1 and Form 2-6, and use Adobe Acrobat Reader to open.
This application package must be submitted to the International Student Office at the applicant’s home institution. Do not send it directly to the University of the Ryukyus.

Submission Deadlines
Arrival in October 2017: Submission by January 27 (Fri.), 2017 ––> We have stopped accepting applications.



●Application● ●Education●
International Education Section
相馬 邦光
Kunimitsu SOMA
Tel: +81 98 895 8096
Email: kotanryu at
International Student Unit, Global Educationa Center
山元 淑乃
Tel: +81 98 895 8116
Email: ysn at